Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sharing Is Hard, and other news from the Kindergarten Front

The weird experience of having the Official Teacher "volunteering" all week kind of threw me off. Generally, we get along well, and when I'm looking at it as a sort of team teaching venture it's actually pretty great. The class is large (though at 28 it's not the biggest kindergarten in either the school or district), so extra hands are always welcome. And of course she knows (mostly) what she's doing, so the kids will absolutely benefit. She got the "bucket of frogs" that is one of our math centers to actually straighten up and ribbit right! As a student teacher, I was shown all sorts of techniques that my cooperating teachers used, with great explanations of their purposes. Working with Official Teacher could be more beneficial in a way, because I've been trying a lot of things and will understand better what a new system can offer. She thanked me on Friday for sharing the room and letting her come in. I just answered that, hey, it's a weird situation and we might as well approach it as a team. If all goes well and she does return to work this year, I may be able to stay on in a team teaching position.

Everyone talks about how it would be hard for the students to get used to a new teacher. They are, after all, only 5 and 6 years old and I've been their teacher all along. I think the truth is that since Official Teacher is coming in a bit at a time, they'd do fine with her later. They'd get used to it. I'm not saying I'm OK with that. I'd miss the kids and the work a lot. And I frankly need the paycheck. So I don't really want her to come back. But it's out of my hands and if it's going to happen but as a team teaching or job sharing situation, well I think that would be just dandy. Then maybe something will open up for next year. Someone could retire, or relocate for a spouse's job, or whatever. I know a first grade teacher in our building has a husband who's getting a high-tech bachelor's degree in June and would certainly have to relocate to find work in his field. I'd be happy to move into her classroom! The bottom line is that the rosy picture that was painted of the profession when I started out working on my degree and teaching license is no longer accurate. No one's retiring. There are no open positions. When a position does open up, it's usually as a one year temporary job instead of a contract position.

In other news, I'm wrestling with assessment. Kindergarten doesn't have much in the way of papers to grade, and a lot of the assessing is through observation. The district now wants us to administer big math assessments in January for the next report card. The official assessment is eleven pages long. With our average class size of about 29 or 30 kids, that's HUGE! I like the idea of collecting good data on the kids, but I have no idea how to pull that off. These aren't third graders or older who can actually work on something while one kid at a time is pulled aside by the teacher for a little test.

Of course, if we're team teaching it'll be cake. ...always look on the bright side of life...

No comments: