Monday, May 10, 2010

Last week of state assessments. Finally.

I honestly came really close to falling asleep while proctoring a fifth grade reading test today. My job was to listen as the student read the selections aloud and occasionally tell her to "do her best" because I "know she can do it". ZZZZZ. At least when we proctor the math tests we do something, even if it is just to read the questions and the multiple choice answers to the kids.

Did I mention I'm looking forward to having my very own classroom and not having such a focus on tests?

The good news is that a lot of the kids I've sat with for their tests have passed! Most, in fact. And this is the last week for testing, so for good or for ill it'll be over soon. Sigh.

Yes, the middle school job looks very appealing. Actually it's not technically middle school, since it's multiple subjects in a self contained classroom. Regardless, the students and the curriculum are really appealing. I've started stocking up on Nancie Atwell and thinking about standards and units and all the writing we'll have to do. I'm hoping it does in fact pan out- the school has a board of directors (charter school) who asked me if I'd take the position but who also haven't officially signed off on anyone's jobs for next year or the budget. That's probably happening next month. All the teachers (all 4 of them, 5 including me) are crossing their fingers while waiting for the Official Word. But I'd be surprised if staffing changed at all other than, of course, me moving into a classroom and someone new filling the Title 1 interventions position. I'm wrapping up the school year by assembling reading intervention program samples that the board could consider adopting for next year. I like Reading Success from SRA. It meets the federal guidelines of being a research based program, it's fairly inexpensive (I think it can be bought with this little school's little Title 1 fund), and it's designed for 3- 30  minute sessions per week which is in keeping with the most likely schedule of the interventionist. At least it's what my schedule has been this year. And it includes levels for older kids (grades 4-8) who are struggling with comprehension and a little bit with decoding. Anyone have any thoughts on this program? It might not be fabulously satisfying work, as it's strictly direct instruction (as far as I can tell), but it's probably user friendly and will probably work well for RtI. The school really needs to adopt materials for next year!

No comments: