Saturday, October 10, 2009

Kindergarten Rocks!


On paper, it's still not my own classroom. But I'm the only adult who's been there since before day 1 and to the kids I'm certainly the teacher. I'm beginning to approach it as if I'll be there all year, knowing full well this might not be the case. I have a big pile of a reading unit to prepare for Monday and the ongoing busy festivity that is Math, and I'm loving it! Sure, most of my students eat the occasional booger, and most can't tell the difference between the letter A and, well, anything. But they're getting better already! One little guy started off the year writing his name in "cursive". This strongly resembled a looooong line of zigzags to me, but what do I know. Now it's 3 or 4 squiggly but recognizable letters (the correct ones, even!) followed by some zigzags for good measure. The one who only cried for about the first five days now is all hunky-dory and making friends. Next step: paying attention in class! The mute one who wants to hide his little face when I ask him to say the abc's or count for me... still does that, but at least he says goodbye to me at the end of the day now!

I'm becoming organized. I know where (most) things are in the room. One little kiss-up politely raised his hand at the end of the day on Friday (the most tired and ornery time of the week typically) and announced that I'm the best teacher ever. Best. Ever. Granted, I'm the only teacher the little guy has had so far, but I'm willing to trust his judgement. Just like when my sweet 3 year old tells me I'm a beautiful mommy, well, it just must be true! I guess in her alternate reality dark circles under the eyes, weird hair, and a well padded tummy DO equal beautiful.

Honestly I don't believe these little guys when they say such hooey, but I am sure they mean it, which means I'm in the right profession (slash lifestyle if you count my own offspring in that). I still wonder from time to time how it would be with the older kids, wonder if I might one day land a position with big ones who can sort of sit still and, if they're texting in class, at least it means they can read and pretty much write! For now, though, I have in fact tapped into my inner Kindergarten Goddess, and she takes the kids for a walk outside to sit under a tree next to the school and sing alphabet songs. And she rocks.

1 comment:

Angela Watson said...

Ooh, 'inner kindergarten goddess'! I love it! I supposed I have an inner elementary school goddess but she gets buried under piles of paperwork and state standards. I need to uncover her more often. :-)