Friday, June 26, 2009

Bitterness probably won't help me survive this recession

Good news: got a call for a job interview.
Bad news: it's in a town about 4 hours away from here and we've decided that come heck or high water we're staying put. (In this context that sounds foolish, but it makes a lot of sense for our whole family's long term, big-picture plans.)
Good news: had an actual interview for an actual job not too very far away from home.
Bad news: didn't get the job. found out when I ran into the girl who did get it (a perfectly nice person if not as deserving as I- I who have five people to support versus she who has a dog. And then I found out that the job pays over twice what I need to support my family. Twice. Grrrr. But my bitterness causes digression...)
Good news: there's still some hope for two local jobs I applied for recently, but both are in limbo until the middle of August; depending on enrollment figures, the jobs may or may not exist. Does that even count as good news? I'm thinking not so much.
And in the same vein (the "does it count as good, bad, or indifferent?" vein): I applied for a part time, minimum wage job yesterday. Again, won't know anything until probably August, but that's fine as I'm booked through July anyway. The job involves books and nice people, so it's good. It may have a flexible schedule that can fit around substitute teaching and, maybe, part time adjunct-ing (one of the aforementioned local jobs). That's good too. And it's not actually minimum wage: it's a whopping $0.73 above minimum. Yep. That's what a master's degree gets you in 2009. Gets me, anyway. Apparently if you're 23 and you're from these parts and you say "like" a lot you're golden. Not so much for me: the chunky matron, heading in to middle age and trying to start over like I'm brand new or something. I'm not brand new. And I'm not from around here, and this is a small town, with a handful of outlying smaller towns where people know each other and they don't really know me.
This week has been incredibly depressing and demoralizing. Six months ago I was confident that I'd make a great teacher and some school district would be happy to get me. Happy. Now it's looking like going back to school was the biggest and most expensive mistake of my long list of regrettable mistakes in this glorious life. So in between trying not to cry all day I'm angry and just plain bitter. Just what HR people want in an applicant. Grrr.

No comments: