Sunday, February 1, 2009

Only vaguely related to education, but still...


Americans have a complex relationship with babies and breasts. Having just last week weaned my third child at the age of 31 months (about the same age her older sisters each stopped nursing), I know that continuing to breastfeed a child when you're apart for some days is difficult, but certainly not impossible. Ultimately, I'm grateful that I was always able to be with them full time when they were very small and only had to spend daytimes away after they had each reached at least two years of age. Leaving my youngest to go off to grad school was not exactly easy, but leaving her with her loving daddy made it just fine for her, even if I did miss her during seminars and so forth. But now she's a big girl and is just fine with hugs and kisses and no nursing. *sigh*.

No, this has little to nothing to do with my standard topic, which is education. Bear in mind,though, that studies have shown a correlation between extended breastfeeding and increased intelligence. I have some mighty fine anecdotal evidence studying cuttlefish in my living room right now to back that up. I'm just saying. Parental involvement probably counts for more than what babies are fed, but let's not discount nutrition. I'm not even saying that the diet has to be ideal. I've rarely been able to afford what I'd consider a perfect diet (totally organic, local, fresh, always balanced...) but I know enough to mix it up with the food groups and avoid the obviously unhealthy prepackaged foods.

Long story short, my youngest is officially no longer a baby, and I'll be keeping a stash of granola bars in my desk at school just in case anyone skipped breakfast. And kudos to all the mommies and daddies and grannies and thoughtful daycare providers who are making the world a better place, one well cared for child at a time!

No comments: